Fireplace and Candle Safety Should be Top of Mind this Holiday Season!
When it comes to the holidays, nothing beats the warmth of a glowing fireplace or lit candles. However, as beautiful and enticing the flames of the holidays may be, we at Security Specialists urge you to use caution and follow these holiday season tips to ensure fireplace and candle safety as this is one of the most dangerous times of the year for household fires.
To keep your household from becoming a holiday fire statistic, here are some safety and security tips to follow:
- Check and clean your chimney and fireplace area at least once a year
- If you’re going to use your fireplace, always use a fireplace screen to prevent embers from escaping onto your floor
- If possible, keep a window cracked open while the fire is burning
- Be certain the damper or flue is open before starting a fire
- When cleaning out the fireplace, put embers in a metal container and set them outside to cool for 24 hours before disposal
- Don’t burn trees, wreaths or wrapping paper in the fireplace
- Never leave burning candles unattended or sleep in a room with a lit candle
- Keep candles out of reach of children
- Make sure candles are on stable surfaces
- Don’t burn candles near trees, curtains or any other flammable items
- Consider investing in a fire detection system
All of Us at Security Specialists Wish You and Yours a Happy and Safe Holiday Season!