Well, Summer is finally over. The air is getting crisper and leaves are starting to change. As the days get darker earlier, we urge you to remember these ten September security tips to keep your family and home safe and protected as a new season is upon us.
Ten September Security Tips for Security Specialists:
- Check all the locks on your doors and windows to make sure they’re functioning properly and close them, especially those that folks tend to forget about such as bathroom and kitchen windows and your back door.
- Don’t forget to lock your garage and shed. Make sure those locks are in good working order and that any perimeter fencing around your yard is secure.
- If you have a fireplace, remember to get it checked. Debris can build up in a fireplace and present a safety hazard. It’s also a good idea to look at the bricks, mortar, and liner condition.
- Now is also an ideal time to get your furnace serviced so it’s in tip-top condition before the nights get cold.
- Remember with less daylight, potential burglars have more time to work without being easily seen. Remove any valuable items such as computers, smartphones, keys, etc. as well as any important correspondence that contains your personal information from plain view. These are especially inviting targets for burglars surveying your home through windows.
- Test Your smoke detectors.
- Make sure all your outdoor lighting fixtures are in proper working order.
- If you’re traveling for any extensive period of time, discontinue mail and newspaper deliveries until you return. So burglars don’t have an open invitation to you unoccupied home, purchase a light switch timer that can turn lights on and off automatically to create the impression that someone is home. If possible, have a trusted neighbor check the house periodically.
- While your home, don’t open the door to strangers.
- CHECK YOUR ALARM SYSTEM and be sure all security lighting is working properly. If you’re not sure, give us a call. If don’t have a security system, think about investing in one. At Security Specialists, we’d be happy to discuss a system tailored to your exact needs and budget.