Seven Tips to Safely Ride Your Bike in the Summer
Well the temperature is getting warmer which means more people will start hopping on their bicycles to commute to work or enjoy some fresh air and leisure time. Unfortunately, with the warm weather comes more bike traffic which almost certainly means more bike versus vehicle accidents.
According to recent records available from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 783 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles in 2017. To help you avoid getting into a deadly encounter with your bike, Security Specialist is providing these seven simple tips that can keep you safe and secure while enjoying the pleasure of riding your bicycle:
- Before hopping on your bicycle, make sure you know the basic rules of the road including always riding in the direction of traffic; following traffic signs and lights and always signaling when turning so automobile drives can anticipate your actions.
- If you’re part of a group, make sure you ride in a single file.
- Always wear a helmet. Make sure that it fits snugly and securely and does not obstruct your vision.
- If your riding at night make sure your bike has reflectors, working head- and tail-lights, and you are wearing bright fluorescent colors.
- Avoid riding on high traffic roads, even if they’re the most direct routes…. always think safety first.
- Don’t get distracted. Don’t listen to loud music with head phones, talk on the phone, text or do anything else that can obstruct hearing and/or vision while riding.
- Stay alert and be cautious of uneven or slippery surfaces.
We at Security Specialists Want You and Your Family Members to Stay Safe This Summer!