Well, Summer’s end is just around the corner. Before you know it, the air will be getting crisper and leaves will start to change. As the season starts to arrive, we urge you to remember these nine Autumn safety tips to keep your family and home secure and protected as we enter September and Autumn rapidly approaches.
- CHECK YOUR ALARM SYSTEM and be sure all security lighting is working properly. If you’re not sure, give us a call. If you don’t have a security system, think about investing in one. At Security Specialists, we’d be happy to discuss a system tailored to your exact needs and budget.
- Test Your smoke detectors.
- Remember with less daylight, potential burglars have more time to work without being easily seen. Remove any valuable items such as computers, smartphones, keys, etc. as well as any important correspondence that contains your personal information from plain view. These are especially inviting targets for burglars surveying your home through windows.
- Check all the locks on your doors and windows to make sure they’re functioning properly and close them, especially those that folks tend to forget about such as bathroom and kitchen windows and your back door.
- Don’t forget to lock your garage and shed. Make sure those locks are in good working order and that any perimeter fencing around your yard is secure.
- If you have a fireplace, remember to get it checked. Debris can build up in a fireplace and present a safety hazard. It’s also a good idea to look at the bricks, mortar, and liner condition.
- Now is also an ideal time to get your furnace serviced so it’s in tip-top condition before the nights get cold.
- If you’re traveling for any extensive period of time, discontinue mail and newspaper deliveries until you return. So burglars don’t have an open invitation to your unoccupied home, purchase a light switch timer that can turn lights on and off automatically to create the impression that someone is home. If possible, have a trusted neighbor check the house periodically.
- While your home, don’t open the door to strangers.