Well, it’s that time of year when we hit the malls in quest of holiday treasures. To help you stay safe and secure this holiday shopping season, here are ten tips to remember before heading out to the stores:
1) Never carry large amounts of cash. If you must, put it in your front pocket and try not to display it when paying for things at the register.
2) Always be aware of your surroundings. Thieves can come from anywhere and will try just about anything to get close to you, so they can get what you have.
3) Never leave gifts or anything of value visible inside your vehicle.
4) Never put your purse in the trunk before entering a store. It doesn’t work, and thieves watch for you to do this in parking lots. It’s better to take the purse with you and carry it safely.
5) Speaking of purses, don’t leave money visible in your purse. You’re asking to have a holiday thief pick your pocket if you do.
6) Never leave your purse in your shopping cart. It only takes a split second for a thief to walk away with your purse and identity.
7) Always keep your purse closed. Zip it, snap it, or buckle it shut. If you leave it open a thief could easily reach in and remove your wallet. You won’t even know it’s gone until it’s too late.
8) If shopping at night, park in a well-lit parking lot. If you feel uncomfortable walking to your car alone, ask to have security accompany you.
9) Walk with confidence. If you appear to be an easy target you probably will be.
10) Take friends with you and stay in groups. 5 sets of eyes are always better than 1.